What causes a gas leak? How are you going to discover if there is a gas leak? What are you going to do when you discover a gas leak in one of your lines? Rather, have you ever experienced this kind of situation in a very unforeseen circumstance?
Have you experienced a situations like this or not, it is very substantial to know the important ways on how to prevent them and how to discover a gas leak. We all know a gas leak is a leak of the natural gas in our pipelines and it can be very dangerous for you when this happens. Just in case, it is beneficial for you to prevent them from happening. It is wise to be prepared beforehand than to be sorry and regretful.
The following passages are precautions and ideas for you to be able to prevent gas leaks. May this help you to prevent such emergencies at home.
How to Detect a Gas Leak?
A gas leak is often the result of poor maintenance, faulty gas appliances or improper gas installations. Broken seals and hoses allow gas to escape which can be very dangerous. As a homeowner you should be cautious about secondhand items.
As previously mentioned, gas leaks can be extremely dangerous but there are early signs that you should be aware of. Here are some:
- Lightheadedness and dizziness – a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- The pilot light colour is yellow or orange instead of blue.
- The pilot light keeps going out
- More condensation on the windows than usual.
How to Prevent Gas Leaks?
Prevention is better than cure as the famous quote says. Well, it is true though especially if you do not want to experience such as what has been mentioned above. Nowadays, there are a lot of inventions in the market that can help you detect a gas leak, such as alarms. However, it is always best to take the necessary steps to prevent gas leaks, slowly but surely. You can do this in the first place even without the alarm by:
- Ensuring your appliances are fitted and installed by a certified Gas Safe Register (GSR) engineer;
- Regular check-ups of your appliances for possible breakouts and damages;
- Ensure that their service to you is regularly right and proper;
- Minimal joints in the pipeworks;
- Testing the pipes after installation for possible leaks;
- Installing and considering the modern way by attaching alarms, sensors and gas shut off valve.
By far, these are the easy steps on how to prevent and detect gas leaks at home. Be cautious and vigilant to your surrounding to prevent you from emergencies, such as burns and other accidents.